Friday 20 January 2017

Giant Blogroll images on blogger? Here's how to fix!

For a while now, I've been having a problem with the blogroll on my site. Certain blogs (generally Wordpress ones) appear on the blogroll with a massive thumbnail image to accompany the title. While this was annoying, I hadn't really done that much about it. It was making the blog a bit unsightly. 
Even though that is an awesome Rhino, it takes up a bit much space.

Recently, Jimmy from Eye of Terror contacted me to see if I knew about it. He told me what the cause of it was, but I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to coding or doing anything with the blog, so didn't really understand what he was trying to tell me, try as best as he did. 

I went to the Blogger help site and managed to get a simple fix that even I could follow! I thought I would share it with my fellow Bloggers so that they could fix it too. 


If you are worried, back up your blog and template before you start. 

1. Log into Blogger and select "Template" on the left hand side menu. Click on the "Customise" button underneath the image of your blog. 

2. In the left menu, select "Advanced" and scroll down the second menu and select "Add CCS". 

3. Add the following text:
.item-thumbnail img {
width:72px;
height:72px;
}

and click on "Apply to Blog". 

Your blogroll should now adjust the image to the correct size for the blogroll from now on. 

I don't pretend to understand what is happening, I am just going to assume that magic internet fairies are at work. Thanks to Jimmy for putting me onto the solution and to Lucas and Syed on the forum for actually coming up with the solution. 

Hope that helps!


10 comments:

  1. Great post! Thabk you for sharing, I had to kill images on my blog roll because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to see you solved it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimmy. I never would have tried to change it had you not set me off on the right direction.

      Delete
  3. You sir are a gem for sharing. What was more annoying was that for sharing purposes social media platforms would often pull in those oversized images to illustrate your link because of their prominence on your page. That's why Warhammer 39,999s pics kept showing up on mine! Of course it might ha e been so easy other code on their blog raising their profile, so it'll be interesting to see if the image resize code has more effect than just shrinking the pictures but whether it reduces their importance on the feeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Johnny's Rhino has been doing the rounds for a long time on the social media pages!

      Delete
  4. Dude......dude......you are a genius! (Well your pal is, but I give you all the credit for sharing this). The massive images were driving me mad, and I ended up deleting a few blogs from my roll just because of their image size. Good job sir, and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem NafNaf. Just blame those filthy, filthy wordpress bloggers, coming over here, taking our screen space..... ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks mate, that was annoying me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! This has been bugging me for a while, but I'm even less comfortable messing around with this stuff than you, so I never got to it.

    ReplyDelete