Monday 30 January 2017

Better Know a Blogger: Part 27- Dragons Eye Miniatures

This week's Better Know a Blogger features Jonathan Lyness from Dragons Eye Miniatures

I first become aware of Jonathan's blog when the Faeit 212 blogroll returned (so glad that is back!). His post was titled "Tournament Prep, Dave Weston's Birthday Bash 40k tournament". As regular readers will know, I am currently preparing my Deathwatch army for the tournament, so was interested to see what other bloggers would be attending the exclusive soiree. 

It was not long after I first spotted his blog and added it to my blogroll, that I received an email from Jonathan offering to contribute to the Better Know a Blogger series. I was more than happy for him to join the swelling ranks. 

Dragons Eye Miniatures has just recently celebrated its first birthday. Things have really stepped up for him in January as Jonathan has been posting about his efforts to update the Imperial Armour Maynarkh Dynasty to fit in with the current Necron Codex. He plans to bring this army to the Birthday Bash, so it is great to read up a bit about the background of this army and how it differs from the Codex version. Jonathan has certainly taken the spirit of the Birthday Bash to heart, frequently choosing to ignore or tone down certain powerful special rules in the list in order to generate a tough, but fair army to play against. I look forward to seeing how it performs at the tournament. Who know, maybe I'll even get to face them!

Here are Jonathan's answers to my questions:

1. What age did you get into gaming and what started it off?
Well this is a bit of a long winded answer, so you'll have to bear with me and my reminiscing... My first experience of wargaming was when I was 7 years old and I didn't even realise it at the time! I was in the local department store, back in my home town of Ballymena, in Northern Ireland, being carted around by my granny, while she was shopping. Being a kid, I walked around the toy section not knowing what I wanted until I wandered into the music section of all places (specifically the heavy metal section) and on one of the shelves was a model I would never forget. It was Inquisitor Karamazov on the Throne of Judgement, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't know what it was, or if it was a toy, all I knew was that I wanted it! In a fit of excitement I dragged my granny over to get me it, only to be told no! I was despondent, as could be expected, and after much pining it slipped my mind for 10 years. 
I need one.....At some stage!!!

It wouldn't be till I was 17 did I rediscover again by accident the grimdark of the 41st Millennium, when my mother bought me the Index Astartes. I was hooked on the background story of the fate of the raven guard, and was awed by the audacity of Abaddon and the Black Legion, I was hooked. But I still didn't know there was a game involved, I thought it was only a story universe and would be another 2 years to I claimed my first real model! 


2. What was the first model you ever bought/painted?
The first model I ever owned, as you might believe would have been either some Raven Guard or Inquisitor Karamazov, but no, it was the 3rd edition Battleforce Box for Chaos Space Marines. My brother had been playing 40k with this friend's in the army during their down time (he started with necrons because he loved to be hated), and he wanted to get his little brother in on the action as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any of them painted as they were in original Black Legion regalia as I have a habit of repainting models... They were reconsecrated to Nurgle in the most inefficient way possible... (painted green and gold and had sand glued to them to try and make it look like corrosion... It did not go well). 
When you fail and spawn hood isn't enough......

3. What is your favourite aspect of gaming?
I absolutely love every aspect of the hobby, it's really hard to choose which is my favourite. Painting has always been my passion since I was young (I painted a lot of science fiction and fantasy fine art) so that has naturally progressed into my models these days, of which most of my hobby time goes into. It is always a joy to improve on every single model (well, most of the time), and show something I can really be proud of. As should everyone in the hobby, no matter if you are new to the hobby or a vet, or a Golden Daemon winner, be proud of what you create! 

I love to play as well, but always to create great stories, and have fun with my fellow wargamers! I'd always say enjoy the moment when it comes to gaming, as everyone will have their special moment to shine on the table top.


4. Fondest memory in gaming?
Funnily enough leading on from the last question, this is one where luck wasn't shining one me... Having fought a brutal skirmish against the ultramarines, my Nurgle Daemon Prince was roving the table like a God of war that none could stand against! The battle was almost done and having taken every wound but his last, my Daemon Prince assaulted a unit of scouts, it should have been easy... The squad fell all but for the last, combat knife in hand the plucky scout jumped into the air stabbing the Daemon Prince in the face, and promptly getting banished back to the warp! The scout was forever christened Archie (I really can't remember why...?), the day was won by that plucky little scout for the Ultramarines!

5. What are you working on right now? 
I really should be working on getting ready for Dave Westons Birthday Bash 40k Tournament in February, but I was highly distracted by Magnus the Red after getting him for Christmas.

Otherwise a few other small projects, Cannoness Veridyan (I need to fix her as I literally dropped her before starting this interview haha), Dark Aelves, Witch Aelves and Stormcast Eternals for Age of Sigmar, as well as some Haqqislam for Infinity the Game. I really need to get some focus... Mind you I probably should at least hunt down Inquisitor Karamazov, seeing he started it all, and I've never owned him. 

Only started the painting this evening...

6. When you are not conquering the tabletop, what do you do?
Mostly fall over things, I'm slightly clumsy... I have a reputation in work and at home. Work-wise, easiest way to explain my job is that I'm a Scientist. I work for a Clinical Nutrition company based in Liverpool, providing foods for special medical purposes. There are people around the world that can't have food like the rest of us, and lead very restricted dietary lives, it's a very worthwhile job helping people that can't have the same life as the rest of us. 

7. What would you say about your blog to someone who has never read it to draw them in? 
The blog is a safe place to explore many different wargames, hopefully soon to include more. I believe the hobby is more than who can win across a table with toy soldiers. Painting, stories, my journey that I want to share with everyone, even if it's not exciting to the degree I have a Warlord Titan (... Hugs self... "someday... someday..."). 

8. What is your favourite article that you have written?
I loved writing my articles on the Chaos God's, particularly Slaanesh, which I hope brings some new insights on this deep, strange and horrifying entity, that has become a bit of a one dimensional joke to some extent these days, and it's still not complete! I'll be finishing them as soon as I can wrest my mind and soul back off Tzeentch!

9. Which rule would you like to see changed or removed entirely?
Soulblaze. I think we can all agree its wayyyy too overpowered for the game... 

Actually probably either fearless or ATSKNF as they both limit far too many equipment choices and army special rules. The GrimDark needs to be HORRIFYING!!! (particularly reflected in the game mechanics). 

10. Which of your armies is your favourite?
Currently, my Khorne Daemonkin, as I love getting in the groove/mindset of a general of Khorne. "Objectives you say...? Hold that thought while I clog the enemies guns with my minions before I take their Skullz for Da Blood God!!!!!!" 

11. Secret wargamer or loud and proud?
Loud and Proud! This hobby, all hobbies even, are part of us, they make us who we are. Own your hobby! Own your weirdness! Be true to yourself and you'll be all the happier for it. 

12. Any hobby tips or cheats to share? 
Khorne Bloodreavers make excellent Chaos cultists for Khorne Daemonkin armies. I wrote an article on the subject, and suggest you check it out! 

13. Tournament or Casual?
Causal, but I do love a tournament or two! I would suggest checking out fromthefang.blogspot.co.uk for Alex's excellent tournaments such as Blogwars (RIP) and the newly founded Double Trouble, a new spin on the doubles format! 

14. Nintendo or Sega?
Nintendo! All else is HERESY! 

15. Xbox or Playstation?
See above. 

16. McDonalds or Burger King? 
Pizza Hut (Because I like to break the rules). 

17. Coke or Pepsi?
Depends on whether a mixer is involved... Pepsi on its own. Jack Daniels Honey and Cola otherwise. 

So I really enjoyed taking part, and would like to thank you Michael for letting me waffle on at your audience, mine can be sure to know that, not only their brains will now be tainted by my madness! I look forward to seeing you in February and you never know, you maybe seeing me across a table near you soon! 

Cheers 
Jonathan 
dragonseyeminiatures@blogspot.com 

Thanks to Jonathan for taking the time to answer my questions. 

If you have a gaming blog and would like to take part in Better Know A Blogger, email me at corrm83@gmail.com to sort it out. I am also looking for regular readers to take part in a Better Know a Reader section. If you are interested, drop me an email at the above address. 

7 comments:

  1. I only came across him recently for Squaduary so it is great to see him here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I'll be getting progress on the Haqqislam models this weekend... Have to be careful or ill end up like Dave W and the drop pods 😜

      Delete
  2. Yes! I knew you secretly loved Archie :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an epic moment 😁 be proud Rob 😜

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Haha triumph to the smurfs!

      Delete
  3. Man, I feel old now. I was an adult when Karamazov was released (I still am an adult). I bought it when it was released and it is still sitting in storage primed and ready to paint. Stupid other projects distracting me. Stupid Games Workshop for releasing nice shiny new toys.

    ReplyDelete