Tuesday 2 January 2018

Hobby Update 02/01/18- Genestealer Cults Leman Russ Completed

On Sunday, I managed to get my Genestealer Cults Leman Russ finished up. This was a great model to work on, a real classic from the 40k range. I really like the grey armour on the Cult vehicles and I painted it up to match my other vehicles. 

I added some hazard stripes to the model to break up the grey armour a bit. To me, it was a bit bland on its own. 






The sponson weapons were also removable, allowing me to arm the Russ how I like. I'm leaning towards the triple Heavy Bolters to start with, but the Heavy Flamers could also be useful for close range firefights. 







I also removed some of the symbols of the false Emperor on the turret. You can see some remnants on it, a sign of the previous owners. All praise to the four-armed Emperor! 

The Leman Russ is now completed and will be getting its debut this week. 

12 comments:

  1. Nice work Mike, be interesting to see how it performs alongside the other Cult stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick! I'm also working on getting some Scout Sentinels made and painted to see how they perform.

      Delete
    2. Scout Sentinels are great, they have always done really well for me in games. The best bit is there scout moves, whatever​ it's called these days. Pushing them forward and extending that no deep strike bubble early, forcing the enemy on to dealing with them or dropping way out of charge range of your main army.

      Delete
    3. I am going to be testing them out in a game this Friday with the Leman Russ, hopefully they will do well!

      Delete
  2. Well done. I've always loved the look of the Leman Russ, and it's a good looking addition to your army.

    Magnets are just so damn practical that I don't understand why some people don't do it. It's cheap, saves you money, and is so simple to do (in most cases).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thor! I didn't need to magnetise this, but I have been doing my Sentinels. Really easy to do and gives me some nice variety in the weapon options.

      Delete
    2. The best part of magnetizing, I feel, is dealing with codex updates and new core rules. Most of us tend to stick to particular configurations on vehicles, infantry, etc. However, eventually it changes (for better or worse), and magnets save the day.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that is the big one for me. Each edition change comes with new options and benefits. Who would have thought that Grav would rarely be fielded in a Space Marine army now?!?

      Delete
  3. Great addition, you might want to blacken the inside of the main gun barrel tho, and tidy the hazard stripe on the side door, a bit is over the lip of the hatch. Have you considered dry brushing a slight muddy look to the tracks, or is this one freshly re-purposed from the false Emperor?! Great job mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good shout on the gun barrel and hatch, I'll need to revisit them. I don't like weathering my vehicles that much. I prefer the clean and crisp, just out of the factory look.

      Delete
    2. Hey Michael, good job on the Russ, can't wait to see it in action! I'd have suggested some weathering, too, but if that's not your thing then that's cool, too. Keep it up!

      Delete