Tuesday 30 January 2018

Better Know A Blogger: Part 47- March of the Damned

This week's Better Know a Blogger features Colin from March of the Damned

March of the Damned is yet another great blog that I have come across thanks to the 40,000 blogs facebook group

Colin's blog has recently been focusing on the exploits of his new Death Guard army. You will find hobby updates on progressing his army, as well as some great battle reports using the army. These reports feature some narrative introduction, some great summaries of the key points in the battle and a review of how the game went. 

Not only that, you will also find some great editorials on 40k, such as his recent articles on Alpha Strikes and Smite Spam, as well as on the fluff of the game. You can also find some great codex reviews and new scenarios he has designed for 40k. 

Here are Colin's answers to my questions:

1. What age did you get into gaming and what started it off?
I was 14 when I got into hobby gaming. I had started off with tabletop role-playing games and soon found myself drawn into the Warhammer 40K universe through the pre-release articles in White Dwarf that year. The original Rogue Trader artwork and background grabbed my imagination like nothing else had.

2. What was the first model you ever bought/painted?
That would have been the original Rogue Trader era plastic space marines box set. A friend and I went down to Games Day 87 (I still have the original programme from the day) for the release. Picked up the rulebook, the plastic marines and the original metal space orks too.

3. What is your favourite aspect of gaming? 
It's being part of a fictional universe that has grown in leaps and bounds since the release of the game. I'm a very imaginative and narrative person and having that established lore behind my battles is what gives me the enjoyment win or lose.

4. Fondest memory in gaming?
One of the first games of RT I had was against a friend's Eldar force. I was playing the space orks box set. Rogue Trader was much more free form than 40K is now and at the climax of the game one of my basic ork boyz who had no melee weapon kicked the eldar commander to death over the two rounds of combat. Just one of those random moments that just still sits with me 30 years later.

5. What are you working on right now?
My army is Death Guard. I'm trying to find the time to paint and build the backlog of plague marines and poxwalkers.

6. When you are not conquering the tabletop, what do you do? 
I work in retail for a well known discount store. My main hobby away from 40K is tabletop role-playing. I started with Dungeons and Dragons back in the day but have moved over to Pathfinder (the spiritual successor from D&D). Otherwise I enjoy science fiction, horror, fantasy and action movies.

7. What would you say about your blog to someone who has never read it to draw them in?
I'm a very much a casual narrative player who derives his enjoyment of the game from just playing for fun. If you are looking for a more relaxed look at the game or you are new to 40K, then I hope my blog will be what you are looking for.

8. What is your favourite article that you have written?
Probably the one I wrote tonight talking about Primaris marines fluff, and why having Primarchs and special characters is a good thing.

9. Which rule would you like to see changed or removed entirely?
I don't think anything needs removing but 8th edition cover rules need to go back to be more like they were under 7th edition. At the moment they just aren't good enough.

10. Which of your armies is your favourite?
I only have Death Guard at the moment but I am tempted to pick up some Genestealer Cult. Death Guard are definitely my favourite 40K army though. I just like the mental image of a Nurgle army waging war and having power armoured zombies with bolters.

11. Secret wargamer or loud and proud?
Loud and proud. I don't see a reason to hide it. In fact my hobbies have always been good talking points and have done me well in job interviews.

12. Any hobby tips or cheats to share?
Don't take it too seriously. You'll have more fun playing 40K if you just play and don't try to go too mechanical.

13. Tournament or Casual?
Casual every time.

14. Nintendo or Sega?
Neither.

15. Xbox or Playstation?
Playstation.

16. McDonalds or Burger King?
I like both.

17. Coke or Pepsi?
Coke. Pepsi is far, far too sweet. Although given the choice I'd have Dr Pepper.

Thanks to Colin for taking the time to answer my questions. Be sure to check out March of the Damned and follow for some great content. 

If you have a wargaming blog and would like to take part in Better Know a Blogger, drop me an email at corrm83@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment