Monday 30 May 2016

Better Know a Blogger- Part 9: Objective Secured

This week's Better Know a Blogger features Nathaniel (better known as NafNaf) from Objective Secured.
 
NafNaf was actually one of the first bloggers that I met in the flesh (so to speak) after we faced one another in the first game of Blog Wars 9. He was a really nice guy and we had a hilarious game full of awful dice rolling on both sides, where my White Scars tried their best to run away from his thunderwolves for the whole game. It was a real pleasure to go up against his awesomely painted and converted Space Wolves. I had already heard of his blog before then, but this helped cement it as one of my regular reads.
 
Nathaniel (AKA NafNaf), I want to say on the left????
NafNaf is the founder (I believe) and one of the main contributors to Objective Secured, which if you haven't seen up till now, do yourself a favour and visit it now (though be prepared to lose several hours of your life). One of the major draws of the blog is NafNaf's phenomenal modelling and painting skills, with most of his posts focusing on his various models for different gaming systems. To me, the pinnacle of this is his most recent force; La Danse Macabre.
 
Yes, believe it or not, this is a 40k unit.
This is a Dark Eldar army that has been modelled and painted on a circus theme. If that sounds ridiculous for the grimdark nature of 40k, you obviously haven't seen it yet. Featuring (in my opinion) some of the greatest modelling and conversion work I have ever seen for 40k, it is a truly unique force and showcases NafNaf's skills brilliantly.
 
I always look forward to more work on the army popping up on my blog list and I cannot wait to see the force at the upcoming Double Trouble tournament in July as I am sure it is even better in the flesh (less than 2 weeks to go everyone!).
 
His awesome Bjorn the Fell Handed conversion.

Apart from 40k, you can find his projects on Infinity, Dropzone Commander and Malifaux, as well as some great tutorials and reviews.

Here are NafNaf's answers to my questions:

1. What age did you get into gaming and what started it off?
I had an intro into the wonderful world of tabletop wargames when a friend of the family mistakenly tried to engage my interest in model railways. I persevered for a while, finding various facets of it interesting but overall being pretty bored (they only go round and round, not so cool to a spotty 12 year old). A few years ago I had noticed a GW store in my local high street, but never had the courage to go in and see what it was all about. Having my appetite whetted by the hobby train experience, and starting to be interested in sci-fi, manga etc, I plucked up the courage and walked in, my what a wonder. All those cool models and artwork, my love of wargaming started at this very moment. The first model I purchased was a metal chaos marine standard bearer, and it was soon followed by the second ed box set and more metal chaos models. This foray was to last many years, until I went to uni and discovered booze and girls, and I abandoned my childhood pursuit of hobby glory. However I still had a secret interest, and soon found myself hiding in my bedroom painting a squad of space marines. My friends got curious and barged in one evening, and found me guiltily holding a paintbrush in the middle of applying a base coat to a melta toting space marine. Well the secret was out and there was no going back. I continued to paint my space marines, and this soon escalated when I left uni and moved to a quaint town in the english countryside where I met like minded friends and hobbyists, and my passion for wargaming exploded.

You will find more random photos throughout, as how could I not show off this awesome work!
2. What was the first model you ever bought/painted?
The first was a chaos space marine standard bearer which I liberally slathered in humbrol enamel paints and greatly enjoyed. I expanded the force to include a few more marines, and spent most of 2nd edition fighting off my mates tyranids on the bedroom floor over cardboard ruins. I soon after entered a painting comp at the local GW, and I created my first diorama with a priest striding along a stream on his pilgrimage. Even looking back now it is pretty good, and I am immensely proud of that model, it was from that point that I really started to pay attention to my painting and I put a lot more effort into what I did (using proper paints ;) ). It is thanks to that one model that I embraced the hobby and immersed myself wholeheartedly in it.
 
3. What is your favourite aspect of gaming?
Now that's a toughie. I think it has got to be the painting and modelling side. I still love gaming but sadly 40k is in a state (for me at least) where the fluff and story do not translate onto the tabletop. This is mainly down to the issues with rules and competitive list building, which I go into a little bit below. Unfortunately it seems this is the way that 40k is mainly played right now. Going back to painting and modelling, I spend a lot of my free time hobbying (I try and commit at least 30 mins a night to my work bench), and I love to cook up new ideas for conversions or plan my next paint job.
4. Fondest memory in gaming?
I mentioned above playing 40k with my childhood friend on the bedroom floor and I think this is a memory that will stay with me forever. We were both so immersed in our games, and had none of the adult worries and commitments that so often limit our time to spend with our friends and hobby. I remember those times with joy

5. What are you working on right now?
I am currently working on a venom for my Dark Eldar Carnival project, which I need to get finished so I have a 750pt army ready for double trouble in June. The venom itself is new enough complete, but I convert and paint the crew separately and they are mid paint job now. I also have some Infinity and Dropzone Commander models on the paint desk. Sadly my time is fairly limited recently (darn you real life) so I am struggling to get anything finished. It is great to be able to switch between systems so things do not get stale and I can try out different painting techniques.

6. When you are not conquering the tabletop, what do you do?
I have recently taken a complete career u turn, following the birth of my son, and am training to be an inspection engineer for Caterpillar. I originally studied as a sculptor and still do my own paintings, although this has taken a back seat when my son was born. Having kids really does focus you on what you need to achieve in life (and how you can pay for them too ;) ) and I had drifted a bit before, having no focus on my job choices and always unhappy because I was not doing what I trained to, and an naturally talented in, art. I am finding I enjoy my new job greatly though, and although the art has taken a back seat the last few years I am ok with that. Bills need to be paid and a future forged for me and the fam :).
www.nathanielgibbs.uk

7. What would you say about your blog to someone who has never read it to draw them in?
It is a wargaming hobby blog that showcases some pretty cool army conversions and paintjobs. I have a wide variety of games that I play and I am passionate about creating good looking armies to be able to game with. These range from in depth army conversion and painting projects like my Dark Eldar, and to a lesser extend my Space Wolves, to small skirmish warbands for Malifaux, and quick and easy paint schemes with my Dropzone Commander Scourge. I showcase all of these, as well as tutorials on how I create some of the effects I use in my hobby, and do the odd review too :)

8. What is your favourite article that you have written?
I think it is probably my Malifaix basing tutorial. I am really pleased with how the bases came out. They are quite simple to make but look really effective. The tutorial was fun to write too and had some good feedback. I plan on doing more and have good one currently in progress (waiting for real life to calm down before I can finish it :) )

9. Which rule would you like to see changed or removed entirely?
Battle brothers. A lot of the broken combos in the game come from allying in characters or units for psychic or rule buffing, or nowadays using transports to get those units into your face quicker. I know some armies do rely on battle brothers to actually make them semi competitive (like dark eldar needing eldar) but that just highlights the flaws in the game. I think all other armies should be allies of convenience to remove/limit some of the abuse that happens.

10. Which of your armies is your favourite?
My Dark Eldar army, La Danse Macabre, is most certainly my favourite (it's not hard to see why- Mike). I absolutely love cooking up new wacky conversions for units and then painting the riot of colour and patterns involved over the whole scheme. It is definately my most involved project to date and It is a looong way from being finished. I am hoping that I can get a playable force fully done by the end of the year (1850pts) though.

11. Secret wargamer or loud and proud?
Loud and proud nowadays. I used to hide my hobby, as I got alot of grief from various arseholes during my younger years, but now I am a well balanced, mature adult I don't give a shit if people think it is a little weird. Most people are actually quite interested when I talk about it, and it is such a positive in my life that I would be silly to hide it.

12. Any hobby tips or cheats to share?
Oh yes. If you really want to push your painting skills to the next level using a wet palette is a must. I transformed the way I paint and I could not do without one now. It essentially keeps your paints moist and encourgaes you to use thin layers of paint instead of straight out of the pot. They are incredible easy to make too, just needing a sealable plastic container, a sponge and baking paper for the top. If you google it there are quite a few articles out there showing how to make them for very cheap. I would also suggest investing in a high quality paint brush, such as a series 7 Windsor and Newton and brush cleaner . It is amazing how much different a good quality brush can make to your painting.

13. Tournament or Casual?
Casual for sure. I cannot stand the hyper competitive tournament lists you see about nowadays that break the rules of the game. I do enjoy tournaments for meeting people, and have had some fantastic games at most of them, finding the majority are attended by cool people with balanced lists that want to just get 3 good games in against other like minded people. The problems come when the hardcore play filters down and becomes the norm, which has become the case quite alot, especially in the new 'free' state of the game, with formations and broken ally combinations. I want to engage with my opponent and have a good two or three hours rolling dice and having a laugh. My idea of enjoyment is not taking an hour to set up the table and army, and then taking all my models off turn one, or having super unkilly units that I cannot do anything with rolling around the table wiping me out. I just find it frustrating and not how I want to spend a day or evening after a usual busy week of real life. I am aware of the argument that I just need to improve as a player, which is of course true, but at the same time I have had games enough in my life to know what I enjoy and what I dont, and so try and avoid games where I know I will have a rotten time of it.

14. Nintendo or Sega?
Nintendo. I grew up with super mario cart and street fighter, and spent many an eve (and day) at university killing stuff on golden eye (best game ever) or in competition with my mates to get the best times on mario cart.

15. Xbox or Playstation?
Neither. I dont play any computer games nowadays, prefering to spend any free time I have doing my hobby or spending time with the family. I get sucked into games way too much, spending days and days doing nothing else, so I keep away, both for my own sake but also for my loved ones round me :)

16. McDonalds or Burger King?
McDonalds. The Big Mac is the greatest thing ever created.....ever. Burger King is just horrible

17. Coke or Pepsi?
BEER! But if I have to then I choose Coke. I can drink either, but I do like the taste of coke much better, especially when out of a glass bottle (why does this make it taste better? Is it all in my head?)
 
Thanks to NafNaf for taking the time to answer my questions.
 
If you have your own blog (doesn't matter how young or old) and would like to take part in the Better Know a Blogger series, email me at corrm83@gmail.com
 


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the showcase and article
    Mike, Your warm words are greatly appreciated :)

    I too still have fond memories of our game at
    Blog wars. It was one of those games where nothing could go right for either of us, but we had a laugh with it anyway and had a thoroughly enjoyable game :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem NafNaf, the warm words are very well deserved!

      Delete
  2. Great article :) lovely models - I've seen them at blog wars and they are immense! Shame about the non Pepsi choice, but ah well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luke :) some of us don't have as advanced taste buds so any swill will do :D

      Delete
  3. Cool interview. Oh, I think NafNaf is the one on the right in that pitcure, in diapers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Thor. Yeah that's me in the diaper, and then there's the baby :D

      Delete
  4. "Featuring (in my opinion) some of the greatest modelling and conversion work I have ever seen for 40k"

    Truer words have not been spoken. Nafnaf's conversions are among some of the top on the web! I fully expect one day to see one of his pieces being paraded everywhere, and in publications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg :) I would love to get my stuff in some publications. I am waiting until I have at least a full 850pt army painted before I send any pics in to WD or anything. Would be very chuffed if I could get anything showcased :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoy the games where both sides are rolling bad. They are comical. One of my favourite opponents is Jerrod. We've had multiple games where we've had our close combat beasts meet each other in assault only to high five each other for multiple turns.

    NafNaf's blog has been a pleasure. His Dark Eldar have a lot of character to them. Too bad we're on different sides of the Atlantic. I'd love to play him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I find those type of games to actually be the most fun, because you are both involved, having the same luck, but can still laugh about it and get a good game out of it.

      Would definitely love to have some games with you. If you are in the UK at any point you will have to give me a shout and I will come and meet you and roll some dice :)

      Delete